I. The HelpMeSee Mission
Our mission is to train local cataract specialists in Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery also known as MSICS, in significant numbers, to meet the increasing demand for surgical services in the communities impacted by cataract blindness.
We will support the training, qualification and practice readiness of these cataract specialists in partnership with health institutions, governments and major philanthropic and market ventures.
To achieve this, we developed and are deploying high-fidelity eye surgery simulators, adapted from the successful experience of commercial airline simulators, to provide the resources needed to educate these cataract specialists in large numbers. Our goal is achieved, when all communities living in austere conditions have access to the essential cataract surgical care they need, that provides the best quality outcomes and is focused on patient safety.
II. Job Summary
The Controller will be responsible for providing quarterly reporting packages for the Chief Executive Officer, Treasurer and Board of Directors. In addition, this candidate will be responsible for fund accounting, presenting books of accounts for audits, preparing financial statements and manage statutory filings, as well as preparing custom reports for donors. The controller will integrate donation management, training sales, projects and cost center expenditures. He/she will supervise a team of 3 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and grants administration. The Controller will ensure that HelpMeSee Inc. has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation, timely and accurate financial statements and oversee flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance department can support program operations.
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Coordinate with external auditors to address any concerns in a timely manner
- Lead the annual reporting process to generate consolidated financial statements and form 990. Responsible for organizing staff and agencies in international affiliates to ensure statutory reporting and daily accounting operations
- Continually assesses policies and procedures to ensure up to date compliance with federal rules and regulations; ensure the use of the most up to date technology and resources to streamline operations and procedures
- Oversee all financial, projects/programs and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; ensure accurate financial reporting materials for government, corporate and foundation grants; ensure compliance with all rules and regulations regarding use of funds and reporting requirements
- Work with Directors and Officers to develop department budget and project budget. Lead the finance resource to keep rigorous record keeping to support ad-hoc financial reporting.
- Prepare cash flow forecast on monthly basis
- Operate in compliance with all local, state, and federal laws and government regulations
- Coordinate internal financial training and development for Directors and Department Heads
- Function as a Subject Matter Expert in finance and accounting. Provide on-going assistance for special projects
Controller Team Leadership:
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment
- Interacts regularly with the management team through regularly schedules meetings, training workshops and day to day activities
- 5 to 7 years of experience in a nonprofit setting, with minimum of 3 years’ experience interacting with cross function members to develop budget and present financial findings
- Proven history of strong project management, and people management skill
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
- Past experience with international organizations is preferred
- 3 years’ experience in job function performing budgeting: Cost Accounting, Fund Accounting and Project Accounting
- Familiar with and commonly used Enterprise Management Accounting Systems, such as QuickBooks, CRM system, and Microsoft SharePoint System
Start date: Immediately
Education requirements: Minimum of a BA/BS degree in accounting, Master’s degree preferred, CPA Required
Employment type: Full-Time
Job function: Accounting
Location: New York
II. How To Apply
Please follow this link to the employment application: download application form
Please email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject heading as follows: "Controller". Please include minimum salary expectations.
*Candidates should be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
HelpMeSee, Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status or any other status protected by law. HelpMeSee, Inc. will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.